Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy National Adoption Awareness Month

It's National Adoption Awareness Month. What a wonderful month! A chance to celebrate second chances! So, in light of the theme of this month, I thought I would rehash some of the highlights of our adoption story.

(I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that the idea actually came from Emily...any other ideas for posts, Emily???)

First, I want to dispel the common misconception that people who adopt children do so because they are unable to conceive on their own. Although this may be the case for some people, we in fact have no problems in that area...and that is all that needs to be said there.

Second, those who do foster care or adopt, are not saints and we are not "child-stealers". We are normal, every day people who love children and feel called to serve in this area. We are definitely not perfect (as you can see from my blog!), but we do our best. Are there bad foster parents out there? YES. Are they the norm...in my experience, no. Please don't demonize us or paint halos around our heads--we don't deserve either.

Finally, a disclaimer. The story I am about to tell is limited by confidentiality agreements. I will not tell everything and much will be generalized. Also, this is OUR experience. Others may have a more difficult foster situation or an easier adoption. Every case is completely different and depends on many factors.

And now onto our story....

...in the next post. It's bedtime and I'm tired...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Clarification
Part 6

Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

No comments: